Friday, September 28, 2007

Is Running Really Boring?

When I was younger, I often watched a very long dyke in my birthplace (well, maybe I just thought it was that long). And, there were runners, too. I wondered how they could run every day without being bored.

Another day, while I discussed with my dad (a former athlete, but not runner), I mentioned running and he told me that running on streets is probably interesting, and running on track must be “terribly boring”.

Few years ago, I would have thought he was right. Not anymore!

To walk or run, one must have good legs (strong, not pretty), but the mental side is also important. A physical activity is equally a matter of muscles as of thinking.

When I started to walk, I always used my PM3 player and listened to the music. Once, I forgot it (but it was too late to come back).

So, I started making music in my mind and understood that my brain was there to motivate me. Some time later, I understood that the workout time is my special time for relaxation.

That’s when I am concentrated only on running and on my environment. Even now, I use some songs in my mind to find a good rhythm for running and since one year I don’t use my MP3 during the workouts.

Do you still remember the dyke from the beginning of this post? It is still as long as before, but now I know I can pass from one end to another very fast. Neither running on track is boring. I understand that this way I can improve my performance, especially the speed.

So, what is the answer to the question from the title? Definitely, running is not boring. It is only our perception (when we are not motivated) that makes it boring.

So, go outside and move…

No comments:

Post a Comment